These gingerbread cookies are so full of flavour and warm spices that eating these will make you feel like it’s Christmas whenever you make them. Plus, the addition of orange zest is a nice surprise. Did I mention these are vegan too?
Bake these and decorate them as a fun Christmas activity with friends and family, or leave them out for Santa on Christmas Eve. I’m sure Santa will love a plate of these cookies, along with a Gingerbread Old Fashioned using Clink Clink Drink’s recipe!
- 2 cups white flour
- 1/2 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 Tbsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (slightly softened, but not melted)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (can use light or dark sugar)
- 1/4 cup water + 1 Tbsp water
- 1 Tbsp finely grated orange zest
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- Salt to sprinkle
- In a medium-size bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and spices.
- In a large bowl, beat together the coconut oil and white sugar until creamy and fluffy (about 2 minutes).
- Add the brown sugar, water, orange zest, and vanilla and beat again until well combined.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture, and combine. If the mixture is too dry and crumbly, add small amounts of water or dairy-free milk to help bring it together. The mixture should hold together when squished, but not crumble apart.
- Bring the dough together in a flat disk, wrap in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for at least one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Roll the cookies out to about 6mm thick and then use your favourite Christmas cookie cutter to cut out the cookies.
- Place on the baking tray and lightly sprinkle the tops of the cookies with a little bit of salt.
- Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes depending on the size of the cookie shape. They should still be slightly soft when they come out of the oven.
- Leave on the tray to cool for 10 minutes and then transfer to a baking rack.
- Once cooled, ice with your favourite icing recipe and decorate as you please. This is a fun Christmas activity with friends or family too!
2 Comments Add yours
I have now sampled some of Vic’s very own vegan gingerbread cookies, everyone!
AND I can confirm that…they are delicious!!! Xxx