Green smoothies are like the “it thing” at the moment. And there are so many good reasons to drink them, and so many different ways to make them! Green smoothies are packed full of beneficial nutrients such as iron, calcium, vitamin C as well as having high levels of fibre – thanks to the dark, leafy greens. They are also super yummy. And this is the recipe I use for a super yummy, and easy to make Green Smoothie!
- 1 really ripe banana, sliced and frozen
- Fresh coconut water
- Spinach leaves (or kale or swiss chard/silverbeet)
- Ice (optional)
1. Put all the ingredients into a blender. I use one banana, and then around 150g of spinach leaves (or kale or swiss chard/silverbeet), and then start with around 3/4c coconut water.
2. Blend up, really well. It can take a little while for the spinach to get all blended up, but it is really worth waiting for it to blend up a bit more, as a lot of people find the texture of green smoothies off putting. Depending on the consistency, if the smoothie is really thick I will add more coconut water and then continue to blend until nice and smooth.
3. Pour into a glass, and enjoy. Drink up! The coconut water and frozen banana really helps to cut through the leafy, earthy taste, so this is a recipe I know people will love. It also works really well with added frozen berries, or even orange, apple or lemon! Yum!!